• The Mountains | Backdrop | the beautiful surrounding of our area
  • ​The Pittsburg of the South | Top Left | The Richlands Land Company started a business boom in 1890 and wanted to make Richlands the "Pittsburg of the South."
    • ​smokestacks of a baryta (glass) plant
    • brick oven  part of the brick plant
  • ​​The Saw Blade | Top Left | logging enterprise in the area
  • Cedar Bluff History | Middle Left
    • ​Higginbotham and Bane Milling Company
    • Grist Mill Complex
    • Whig Rose coverlet pattern which were produced by Clinch Valley Blanket Mills
  • ​Coal-Related History | Bottom Left
    • ​miners digging along coal seam
    • miners waiting in the cage to descend the shaft of an Island Creek Mine
    • miners riding out of a drift mine at shift change
    • Norfolk & Western coal ​cars leading down the track from a Jewel Ridge Coal Company tipple
  • ​​Dogwood Blossoms | Bottom Left | Virginia's state flower & a common site in the spring
  • ​Historic Buildings | Top Middle
    • ​College Hill which was once a high school and then an elementary school in Cedar Bluff
    • Hotel Richlands was a grand hotel built by the Richlands Land company and rebuilt as a college after a fire. Then it became the Mattie Williams Hospital and now the site holds the Miner's Memorial and the Richlands Town Hall. 
    • Clinch Valley Coal and Iron Company's office was transformed into the home of Dr. William Resse Williams and is now the Richlands Tazewell County Branch Library.​
    • W.B.F. White & Sons Building (canvas for the mural)  was home to White's Hardware which opened in 1907 and has recently opened as Appalachian Millworks & Cabinetry.  
    • The N&W Railroad foreman's section house is the log home that stay stands as the oldest remaining residential building in Richlands which will soon be renovated into a railroad museum. ​
    • The Christian Church of Richlands is the earliest still standing and active church built in Richlands. 
  • ​Land & War History | Middle
    • ​ Pioneer surveyor looking over the Clinch River
    • ​The original map of Richlands' boundaries from 1829 (black outline)
    • "Ole Number Seven" allowed passengers to travel to Clinch Valley Division of Bluefield, WV & Norton, VA. 
    • Confederate soldier and Union encampment as the area had people in both sides
  • ​​Circuit Riding Preacher Robert Shelley on his horse | Top Right
  • Native American Influence | Top Right
    • ​Native American representing the early tribal presence.
    • Two-headed Thunderbird Symbol that still remains on the ledge at Paint Lick Mountain
    • ​Dwellings built by Indians around Southwest VA
  • ​​Rural Mountain Life | Bottom Middle Right
    • ​The Fiddler
    • ​Woman digging potatoes
    • Women quilting
  • ​Self-sufficiency & Resilience | Bottom Right 
    • ​Canned goods
    • Old plow
    • Ginseng root
    • Mule, calf & pigs


information credit:  Artist Ellen Elmes

The W.B.F. White & Sons Building is the canvas for the gorgeous, historic mural of Richlands. This public artwork was completed in 1984 by Ellen Elmes after much  research, design, and painting. Commissioned by the Town of Richlands & the Virginia Commission for the Arts, this work is still a centerpiece of the town today. The name was decided by a contest through the area schools and was revealed at the dedication service for the mural: The Past That Makes the Future Better.  Below you will find a list of the many sections in the artwork and the symbolism behind them. 

Renovation of the 1890 structure owned by Higginbotham and White, resulted in the oldest continuous business in Richlands. W. B. F. White took control of the business around 1907, and moved his family to the second floor. Brothers Roy T. White and John C. White; and sons Jesse F. White, and Joe M. White joined the W. B. F. White & Sons business, followed by grandson James S. White, who last managed the business. The hardware building was sold by auction in 2001 to Charles Lawson, great-grandson of W. B. F. White. He opened Clinch Valley Millworks and the building was used for that until it closed in 2012. 


information credit : Gaynelle Thompson

The Story Behind the Mural

W.B.F. White & Sons Building

Travis Hackworth, owner of Twin Enterprises, purchased the W.B.F. White & Sons Building in February of 2015. Seeing the need for a quality millworks supply, he opened Appalachian Millworks & Cabinetry to produce custom cabinetry, trim, flooring, and other millwork needs. Twin Enterprises is known for building and remodeling homes with  custom millwork, flooring, and cabinetry and had previously used Clinch Valley Millworks which was the previous owner of the building. We have hired some of the former employees that were familiar with the equipment and shop. 

Our History

Custom Mouldings and Cabinetry